Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Home again

I call lots of places 'home.'  Sometimes I even call the studio where I work 'home.'  But there's nothing like going back to where you began, and for me that's the great state of Michigan.  I'm spending a few days here before I head to Milwaukee with my family for my surgery.  I don't know how to explain it, and maybe it's this way with all 'homes,' but Michigan gets in your blood.  If you're a Michigander, you are always a Michigander.

Ahhh, summer!  This is the sight that I'm used to from Michigan summer - watermelon and corn on the cob.  All that's missing is a bathing suit and beach towel.  It's hot and muggy here, just the way July should be here.  I come back every year at this same time for several reasons.  A.) Guaranteed hot weather, B.) spend time with family and my bestie friends, C.) Ann Arbor Art Fair!  I've been going to this since forever, and it's the most amazing Urban Outfitter's sale ever.  Seriously, it's amazing.  The majority of my wardrobe is from this sale over the years.  It was better in the old days when Molly and I would go and everything was $1, $3, $5, or $10.  UH mazing.  It's a bit pricier now, no more $1 and $3.  But still, good deals.

There's something comforting about this summer routine.  It makes me feel grounded, feel normal.  I love seeing my family, I love seeing my best friends for forever, Molly and Mary.  Although I love my life in Washington with my husband and furry family, I love my roots here in the Mit.

1 comment:

  1. Okay, so I couln't remember my passwords to follow your blog....Lame yes....but I want you to know how much we love you....what an AWESOME running partner and inspiration you are....and that I've been bugging Josh non-stop about hearing from Jeff and I am so glad to hear that the surgery went well....now....project rest and get some sleep commences! Again, we love you...stay strong lady. Katie

    ReplyDelete