Monday, August 2, 2010

Pre-surgery: Monday morning

So I'll try to start from the beginning of my surgery experience and tell you what I remember.

Jeff and I arrived at the hospital at 5:45am, my surgery scheduled for 7:30am.  I hadn't slept too much the night before since I was so nervous.  We checked in and I had to spell my name probably 40 times to everyone I talked to.  After registering we went up to 'Day Surgery,' now it was getting real.  I had to change into the ass-less gown and was issued these prison socks.  (They were tan and tube shaped, a one size fits all deal.)  The first nurse that brought me into the room left, Jeff and I waited.  Heidi, you're right.  we waited... and waited....

Next same in a different nurse and she started hooking up electrodes to my feet (oh, and I had to wear compression stockings, which are actually fairly comfortable) and my hands.  I asked if I needed anyone my head and she said (in not so many words) that they'll put some in when I'm sleeping.  She wrote on my head too, I think.  While she was working away, a different nurse came in, then a different one.  We were visited by Dr. Heffez's PA, I think his name was Nick.  He may have been barely over 20 years old.  It was very Doogie Howser. 

Nick explained a little of what I was to expect after I woke up.  That was when I learned I would be laying flat on my back for at least 36-48 hours.  UGH.  I had no idea about that fact, as well as a number of other things I went through during my hospital stay.

The anesthesiologist came to see me, I sure liked that guy.  Dr. Chase was his name, and he was not what my nurse friend Heidi predicted.  (Heidi, that was like the -only- thing you didn't predict!)  Dr. Chase was young, he has two kids, one a girl of 3 years old.  He was so super nice, talked to me, and asked if I had any questions.  He was very receptive when I told him I was concerned about having the tube thing down my throat because of my fragile mouth and gums.  He was so super nice, and I told him that. I think he liked me, I was a super charming patient. 

I saw my parents and my brother for a quick minute, said goodbye to them.  Dr. Chase already put in an IV tube, and told me he was going to inject something that would make me feel like I had had a couple margaritas.  As soon as he did that, I said goodbye to Jeff and I remember says, 'it's working.'  That's the last I remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment