Friday, June 11, 2010

Seriously?

Apparently my primary care physician is to do a pre-op physical for me within 30 days of my surgery.  I think it's like chest x-rays and blood work, make sure I don't have a condition that will make me explode on the operating table or anything.

I get a rather rude call from my PCP's office, saying they can't do the pre-op physical for me because I've never been seen for that 'condition' at her office before.  Hmm...  That's because my PCP referred me to a neurologist like any good PCP would.  I've seen her several times years ago for symptoms relating to Chiari, but I didn't know that at the time.  What a bizarre circle - the PCP won't see me for Chiari because it's out of her specialty, but I need her to do the pre-op physical...  But she won't do the pre-op physical because she hasn't seen me for Chiari...  But won't see me for Chiari....  You get the idea.  What a cycle.

I'm in the process of contacting my neurologist to see if he can do a pre-op physical and I can just let go of the whole PCP mess.  If not, who knows.  

Although I think health insurance is one of the best things in my life right now, I find the health care system frustrating at times.  The nurse that called me was not helpful and very rude, and made me wonder if she thought at all what a vulnerable state I am in, and how that made me feel.  


No comments:

Post a Comment